March 7, 2012

The Voice ..

How do you create a legacy?
How do you leave something behind for others to remember for centuries.. that will actually have an impact on generations to come?
How would you go about becoming the voice of a generation..? Or writing something that would change a generation.. or more practically speaking.. a single person?
Many writers have done it. They’ve managed to hone in on the emotions of young people.. or not so young people.. enhancing their senses by relating to them on new levels with topics that ignite something in their imagination. Some writers have told stories that have been told many times in history books, adding a new twist, or new perspective, unlocking doors into the minds of the past.
Writing.. and reading.. are both incredible tools that have aided humanity throughout history. Great tools, when used for great things.. in a great way.. usually produce.. well.. great stuff.

For many years i’ve wanted to be every kind of writer; a journalist, novelist, songwriter.
I’ve wanted to be the faceless name behind wonderful stories that people would paint their own pictures to, creating magical lands in far off places with dragons and princesses, and knights in shining armor that ride in at the last second to save the day. I’ve wanted to create an escape for people that are looking for things far beyond their reach, something tangible for the ones holding on to something not within their grasp.
The characters in my dreams often dance from my head onto pages and files in my computer, only to end up somewhere lost in a viral universe, saved under some forgettable name. Nothing extraordinary about their untold stories, nothing excruciating about their created pain, just made up people in a made up world, fighting made up daemons, always coming out alive and well - it all would take such life in my head! .. and then when it came time to put pen to paper (or hands to key board) the characters eyes lost their sparkle.. their love lost it’s fire.. and their stories lost my interest.
After killing myself day after day.. week after week.. in an attempt to create a world i longed to live in.. i realized that i only have one story to tell.
Which brought me here..
So here i am.. pen in hand.. fingers on keyboard.. bringing you reality.
No knights in shining armor. I can’t promise princesses in castles.. i can’t take you to far off lands, but i can take you to the only place in which my mind will allow me to share.. my head.
My name is Callymon, and this is, and has been, my story.

When something happens to someone.. i believe that there’s a reason for it. While trying to find answers to my own questions.. and decipher through my own confusion, i began answering other people’s questions. While attempting to fix my problems.. and my heart.. i started fixing others. And while attempting to tell my own story, i began to tell the stories of others.
I knew there were answers to questions that i would never get.. and problems of my own that would never get solved.. but somehow.. fixing others.. seemed to help.
My life hasn’t been peaches and creme.. as i'm sure you've been able to assume through endless songs and blog posts about brokenness and pain.. but before i went viral, everything out in the universe about my life was exactly what i decided i wanted people to know.
I tried to be very cookie-cutter.. the no surprises, blonde girl with the life that no one questioned.. and no one went digging in.. the surface me. Not necessarily anything that wasn't real, it was just full of pleasantries and 'fine how are you's. I gave the world the bran callymon. Nothing sugar coated, spiced up, or really anything that went beyond ordinary.

Message to the wise... once you start showing who you really are.. there’s really no going back.. cuz once people get a dose of reality.. they never want the fake one-flavor stuff again! You give them sugar, spice, and heart-ache.. and they eat it up! You give them bran again..? and they think they’re eating cardboard. (which i guess isn’t too far off)

As this blog has hit it's 1 year anniversary, I'd first like to say.. thank you for listening. Thank you for reading the stories of the heartbroken.. pissed off.. and wallowing. Every person who has told or sent me their story also thanks you. You as readers have given a voice to many that would otherwise have remained silent... giving the world the bran version of themselves.
By reading the stories of the silent, you've hopefully consciously, or subconsciously challenged the status quo of the world around you. You've hopefully seen the signs of pain or confusion in another's eyes and made a conscious effort to take it away.. or even just to not make it any worse.
The fact that you're reading these words right now really means a lot to me. Thank you.

As any good recognition speech.. let me share with you YOUR favorite parts about the last year in "The Blog You Wish Your Boyfriend Read"...

Favorite/most viewed post: It's About Time

Favorite messages i've received:

From: Karol
callymon I don't mean to creep you out but can I just say I absolutely LOVE your blog! Seriously it is inspiring, uplifting, and you are hilarious! Keep the posts coming girl and I'll keep enjoying them!

From: John
Callymon,
First I would like to complement you on your bomb blogs. Yes, I feel kinda girly reading them, and the fact that I enjoy them makes it even worse. SOOO well done. Secondly If you wanna do a blog post on me Im here, available, and fully clothed. I ll give you a good story may not be true but it would be a good one. No name change will be needed. Ha. Keep Lifting up the people. People need it.

From: Seth
Hey callymon,
So it was your "Masquerade" blog entry back in the middle of May that first caught my attention. I thought you were such a good writer and had such good perspective that I went on to read the next one on "the non-stagnant relationship movement". Good stuff! Keep it up

From: Hannah
call. i hope i dont sound like a complete creep but i am obsesseddddd with your blog. seriously read it at every free time that i have. you are a relationship guru. just want you to know that whether its making me cry laugh or get myself thinking it leaves an impression on me. you're great. i hope all is well. loveyy

From: Zac
while stalking I came across an absolute Gem! something about Tool-a-holics. LMAO. serious! Never new you were such an seasoned writer. Long story short, I was thoroughly impressed/ think maybe you ought to take up journalism or something where you can utilize those skills. Keep it up. I'm subscribed and looking forward to more insight from 'the blog you wish your boyfriend read'. You rock, lets kick it soon.

From: Annie
Callymon.. I know I don't personally know you, but Im one of Emily's best friends. I just read your blog and loved it. I don't really know your story, but have heard parts from My friend and it reminds me of what I have kind of been going through lately. I really enjoyed your blog and how uplifting it was  you seem like such a sweet beautiful girl. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing . Some things in your blog reminded me of my story.

From: Jessica
Hey girl! I miss you! I decided to read your blog the other day.. and can I just tell you that I love you? I don't know how you are not married to ten men right now. For real. I read one post and then I couldn't stop. It was 3 AM and I was like, "I gotta keep going, I've almost read them all.. this girl is good.." Oh heavens, I cried, I laughed and I felt like I could relate to so many things you said. You made sense out of my problems and gave me hope in the future. I wish we would've had a girl talk after one of those $5 movie nights! Haha, anyway, I think you're amazing, beautiful, HILARIOUS, smart, and witty. You're the whole package and I know whoever your husband is will be all of those same things and more. Keep writing!
Love,
Your newest biggest fan!!

My favorite/most surprising discovery: More guys read this than girls.

I've loved every message, comment, re-post, and suggestion. y'all have really been awesome!


Now, you didn't really think that's all the 1 year post was going to be right? Good.

In our society today... in order for someone to continue to do what they love.. to reach any sort of fame, fortune, recognition, or acknowledgment at all, people have to be aware of them.
The recipe for success is: talent + recognition/ awareness = success
Unfortunately... the model looks like.. talent + RECOGNITION/AWARENESS = Success
Unfortunately... talent is but a small part of this model. It doesn't really matter what you can do... as long as a whole bunch of people know you do it.
In the music industry, so many people remain in prominent..influential positions.. that.. lets be honest.. suck. Our world is filled with people that aren't that great.. getting recognized for things that aren't that great.. yet because of their recognition... they have great power.. and a very LOUD voice.
I mean.. honestly... as cool as 'Friday.. Friday... Let's kill ourselves on Friday' is...

... its a dumb song.
Guys... she has 25 million views!!! And don't get me wrong... that's fantastic for her! Props to rebecca black! That's an incredible accomplishment!
But then you look at someone like my friend Rudi...
And her formula remains.. Talent + Recognition/awareness = success. 






Rudi has 14,000 views on that.. which is still amazing!! However, it could be... 25 million!!
Unfortunately, In order to get anywhere in life.. you need the recognition in order to verify and legitimize your talent to the world. YOU as an individual have the power to do this.. to fill the radios.. internet.. news stations.. and minds of the world with exactly what interests you. You have the power to change who and what gets recognized for what. The future of fame, fortune, and awareness rests in the hands of every single individual. You give the microphone to exactly who you want to have a voice..

So.
As i sat with friends the other day brain storming of how to get my voice further heard.. and further recognized in this crazy world.. we decided that i need to start with YOU.

As i said earlier, the fact that anyone reads my random thoughts and stories at all is baffling to me.. but hey.. y'all do read it. and hopefully you keep coming back.

The two things in my life that i love more than anything in the world, are my music:


and writing: hence this blog.

I'll work on the talent part, if YOU guys can help me out with the recognition.
Now as you sit there and roll your eyes, thinking, oh great.. another thing on fb that annoying people post.. that nobody responds to... spamming the universe with their annoyingness.. knock it off.

I usually don't do this.. and wont in the future. I'll continue to fill the walls of this page with stories and thoughts and randomness.. but in spirit of this 1 year anniversary post.. i am asking you, if you enjoy reading this craziness, to share it with whoever you can. If you repost it on fb.. link it on your blog.. or just spread the word to your friends.. I would love you forever.

In every issue.. song.. article.. power.. and confrontation... remember that you have a voice! You absolutely have a say! And you truly can change the world one moment at a time.

This last year has been awesome! Thanks for giving me a way to purge my thoughts! Thanks for your stories.. thanks for being here. right now. you guys rock.
Happy Birthday "TBYWYBR" (the blog you wish your BF read)..
Here's to the next year! Cheers..

Until later..
xoxo
-Callymon

No comments:

Post a Comment